Sadly PAWS does not have the resources to run a rescue or re-homing centre and the situation of abandoned dogs is very distressing for both PAWS vet teams and for tourists. We urge everyone on Paxos to please bring their dogs to the clinic to be neutered, so as to prevent the continuation of this desperate state of affairs.
However below is a selection of some of our rescues with happy endings:
Good News for Bella: March 2017
Lovely Bella that you see in the photo was found in a pitiful state and rescued in December 2016 by PAWS. Since then she has been cared for at the clinic in Magazia by volunteers and has blossomed into a loving and affectionate dog. She is now going to be adopted by one of the PAWS vets, Andrea Rhodes. She will either live with Andrea in Brighton, Sussex or live with a very close friend of hers. PAWS is delighted that there is a happy ending for Bella.
A beautiful dog Spithas who was abandoned at the clinic in December 2016 is now living in Yorkshire with Victoria & Ken - for more details see News & Events - Spithas Saved and the photo gallery.
Numerous puppies were found on Paxos in 2016. Some were re-homed on Paxos and some were adopted abroad. Helen and Mike who live in the French Alps adopted 3 puppies who have all been named after Greek beers! They will keep Mythos (chocolate colured) and the other two ( Nissos and Fix) when old enough, will travel to the UK and live in Edwinstowe at the edge of Sherwood Forest with Helen's parents. Gina Bastard who spends several months on Paxos every year has adopted Daisy & Pluto (see adjacent photo) and all are happily living together in Devon. Eve Jones who was holidaying in Paxos in July adopted another puppy called Spyros and brought him back to the UK.
Previous successful rescues have included:
In 2015, a lively retriever cross called Nettles who was at the clinic for over 6 weeks has now found a loving home in Cheshire with Debbie Gilbertson (one of our volunteer vet nurses).
Paxi, a beautiful white labrador cross that was involved in a road traffic accident was rescued by an Italian couple Simone and Deborah.
Jim and Maureen Lemin adopted Buddy a gentle black labrador that was found abandoned in a pitiful condition during the summer.
'SHAD' - In September 2015, Yvonne and Youssef adopted a poorly black and white kitten which they befriended whilst staying at Villa Melissa. You will see from his picture in the photo gallery that life in Luxembourg has suited Shad and he has become a very handsome boy!
Two puppies abandoned in July 2014 are now happy in new homes: - One is living in Paxos and the other (Molly) was adopted by John & Sue Sutcliffe who divide their time between Paxos and the UK so Molly has her passport and is bi-lingual.
A beautiful abandoned Setter cross called Rea was adopted by Grahame and Jan Chambers in 2014. In 2016 they adopted 2 puppies called Fred & Ginger, which is now the 3rd time they have come to the rescue as they gave Chuck a home back in 2006.
Saving 'Biscay Bertie'. Normally on a Sunday, the PAWS team plans a day of relaxation but on September 24th 2013 our four legged friends had other ideas! Whilst Russell was planning a possible trip to the beach, he received an emergency call to attend a very sick dog on a boat that had just sailed into Paxos. 'Bertie' a Cavalier King Charles, normally a seasoned sailor, had contracted a terrible bout of colitis and was producing all sorts of ghastly things from both ends. Russell's expertise soon had Bertie back to rude health much to the relief of his worried owners. It appears that Bertie is not just a accomplished yachtsman but also a talented writer. A very amusing blog was written about this Paxos experience which can be found on UHURU/StevePowell.
PAWS is delighted that Bertie fully recovered and we were extremely grateful for all the money he raised for our charity.
Meanwhile on the same day, Lindsay who was out and about changing collection boxes was given a small kitten in a cardboard box. She had been found in the middle of the road near Loggos and was thought to be blind. However on closer examination by Jonathan, her eyes were diagnosed as only infected and responded quickly to treatment. The PAWS team named the kitten 'Maggie' and cared for her at the new clinic for 5 days. She was on display at the opening party and was adopted by Eric & Jackie. PAWS is delighted to report that she has settled in well at her new home.
In September 2013 James and Kathryn Baird rescued a beautiful tabby kitten 'Gatki' from Paxos and took him back to their home in Belfast
- Dave - a beautiful white kitten was rescued by Russell and Zoe when they first worked together on Paxos. He was found next to his dead brother by the road side and became very tame and spent a lot of his time wrapped around Zoe's shoulders. The PAWS team all loved him dearly and managed to find him a lovely home with a chef who worked on Mongonissi.
- Dissy - sadly in 2011, two very small kittens were found in a metal cage in the rubbish tip and brought into our surgery. We only managed to save one but were delighted to find a home for her. She was adopted by Christine and her familiarly from Loggos and has matured into a real beauty, now called Dissy.
- Kiri & Rimini - two beautiful kittens that had been found by the roadside were brought to the PAWS surgery and re-homed with Carol. Subsequently they have visited the surgery for check-ups and sterilisation, and always look healthy and happy. Sadly Kiri had to be put to sleep in 2013 but Rimini is still fit and well.
- Taxx - rescued by Jacqui. Early in 2012, PAWS was asked to treat a rather handsome young dog that had a badly infected tail. Subsequently during the summer the dog was involved in a car accident and was seriously injured. At this point Jacqui Russell-Flint, who lives part of the year in Lakka, stepped in and decided to adopt the dog and take it back to her home in the UK. Taxx has settled in really well back in England and has a beautiful new girlfriend in the shape of a black Labrador called Bustle.
- Photos of all these rescues can be found in the Rescue album in the photo gallery.